Grand Rapids, Michigan
(866) 959-4378 (Toll Free)
Mr. De Haan was born in Grand Rapids and is a lifelong resident of West Michigan. He is married to Debra and they have two adult children - Kelsey and Nathan. When Mr. De Haan is not working he enjoys spending time with his family, getting involved with his church, mountain biking, backpacking, playing racquetball, and doing volunteer work. He is a Big Brother. He takes high school students from Grand Rapids to Honduras every other year where they build stoves, construct latrines, and dig water wells for rural Honduran communities.
Mr. DeHaan graduated from Calvin College with a Bachelor of Science degree. He took many biology courses such as anatomy and physiology. He then went to the University of Wisconsin where he obtained a Masters degree in Physiology. He did extensive research in cardiovascular physiology and he authored several research papers that were published in scientific journals.
Mr. DeHaan then attended law school at Valparaiso University in Indiana. He graduated with honors in 1983.
Mr. DeHaan has specialized in personal injury cases from 1983 to the present. He represents those injured by the negligence of others in automobile collision cases, motorcycle accident cases, and slip and fall incident cases. He also represents employees who are injured at work. One of the key issues in any personal injury case is the nature and extent of the injured person's injuries. This is a medical question. Mr. DeHaan's extensive education and experience in anatomy and physiology allows him to clearly understand the injuries and provides him with the ability to describe those injuries to an insurance adjuster or to a jury in easy to understand terms.
Mr. De Haan has tried many cases as a personal injury specialist. He is not afraid to take a case to a jury. He has obtained jury awards for his clients in Kent County, Ottawa County, Clinton County, Berrien County and Newaygo County.
Why you should hire Stephen De Haan to represent you
- Stephen De Haan is an injury specialist and not a general practice attorney. General practice attorneys take any case that comes to them. They claim expertise in divorce, criminal matters, real estate, along with injury cases. These attorneys do not practice 100% injury law. Mr. De Haan only practices injury law. He only represents persons such as you who are injured by the negligence of others. He understands your injuries and can explain those injuries to the insurance adjuster or to a jury so that you obtain a settlement that will adequately compensate you for your injuries.
- Stephen De Haan lives and works in West Michigan. Many attorneys who want you to hire them actually work in Detroit or Ann Arbor. They do not live in West Michigan. If you live in Grand Rapids or Muskegon you wouldn't go to Detroit to get your car fixed. If you live in Grand Rapids or Hastings you wouldn't go to Detroit to have surgery on your broken arm. So why hire an attorney who lives in Detroit? You want an attorney who lives and works it the same area you do. Mr. De Haan is a lifetime resident of West Michigan.
- Stephen De Haan will handle your case. In many law firms once you sign up with an attorney, your case ends up in the hands of someone else. Sometimes it is a junior lawyer who is gaining experience. Sometimes your case is referred out to an attorney who you have never met. When you hire Stephen De Haan you are hiring an attorney who will handle your case from start to finish.
- Stephen De Haan is a trial attorney. There are many attorneys who advertise for injury claims but do not try cases. They want to settle your case quickly and will recommend that you take whatever the insurance company will offer. You need a trial attorney if your case does not settle. Stephen De Haan has tried cases throughout West Michigan. He is able to persuade juries to award money damages to people such as you who are injured by the negligence of others.
- Areas of Practice:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Social Security -- Disability
- Workers' Compensation Law
- Bar Admissions:
- Michigan, 1983
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1983
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1985
- Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana,
Honors: Class Rank: 12/113
Honors: Honor Papers in Antitrust Law, 1983
Honors: Honor Papers in Insurance Law, 1982
Honors: Honor Papers in Civil Procedure, 1980
Honors: Merit Scholarship Recipient, 1981- 1982
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin,
Honors: Teaching Fellowship, August 1978 - May 1980
Honors: Research Fellowship, August 1978 - July 1980
- Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan,
Bachelor of Science
Honors: Dean's List (4 Semesters)